KNIGHTS SOFTBALL/BASEBALL CLUB CONSTITUTION
1. NAME OF GROUP
The name of the group shall be Knights Softball/Baseball Club.
The aims of the Knights Softball/Baseball Club will be:
a) To establish sports club and participate in different sporting activities.
b) To create sports consciousness amongst general public.
c) To promote recreational activities, mutual support and joint aid among our members.
d) Promote behavior that is ethical, responsible and shows respect for the rights of every individual.
e) Equip young people with the life skills and positive attitudes for their future success.
f) Provide activities for after school and holidays for young people
g) Provide young people with the best possible sporting experience.
h) Ensure equal opportunities for all young people to participate in sports.
i) To provide a sporting activity which is helpful in one’s physical growth and development
Membership will be open to anyone who:
a) Is aged between 10 years and above; and lives in Nairobi and its surrounding area; and
b) Supports the aims of Knights Softball/Baseball Club.
Membership will begin as soon as the membership form and first monthly payment have been received. There will be a monthly membership fee which shall be agreed at the Annual General Meeting and will be payable by all members. The membership fee will make it clear who is a
member and will be raising a bit of money for the running of the project. The membership will be collected on a monthly basis from the members.
A list of all members will be kept by the membership secretary.
3.1 CEASING TO BE A MEMBER
Members may resign at any time by writing to the secretary.
• Any member who will not have paid their membership fee for a set period of time discussed by the committee shall be contacted by the committee, who will then decide whether that member is deemed to have resigned.
• One will cease to be a member when they stop attending activities of the group or stop volunteering with the group.
• Anyone behaving in an offensive way or breaking the equal opportunities policy may be asked not to attend any further meetings or to resign from the group if an apology is not given or the behavior is repeated. The individuals concerned shall have the right to be heard by the management committee accompanied by a friend, before a final decision is made.
4. EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES
• Knights Softball/Baseball Club will not discriminate on the grounds of gender, race, color, ethnic, or national origin, sexuality, disability, religious or political belief, marital status or age.
• Every member will be provided an opportunity to feel equally important and valued within the group.
• Knights Softball/Baseball Club believe that equal opportunities are the central principal underlying all the work we do. We shall work against all forms of oppression, including those based on race, creed, gender, marital status, culture, class, sexuality, learning ability, physical impairment, political beliefs and unrelated criminal convictions.
• The group shall be open and accessible to anyone and shall also ensure equality of delegation of tasks.
• Any complaints received about discrimination or harassment within the group shall be taken seriously and dealt with fairly.
5. COMMITTEE AND OFFICERS
The business of the group will be carried out by a committee elected at the AGM.
The committee will consist of 8 members, and be composed of 4 officers and 4 committee members. Up to 2 additional members may be co-opted onto the committee at the discretion of the committee.
The elective offices of the organization shall be:
A. Chairperson- who shall chair both general and committee meetings.
B. Vice Chairperson- who shall oversee the meetings in the absence of the chairperson and also will help to run the business of the group.
C. Secretary- who shall be responsible for the taking of minutes and the distribution of all papers. Secretary shall also be responsible for keeping records of members.
D. Treasurer- shall be responsible for maintaining accounts
The above officers shall be elected by majority vote at a regular meeting of the Knights. The election shall take place at least one month before the close of business year. Officers thus elected shall take office immediately following the close of the business year and serve for three years.
In the event of an officer standing down during the year a replacement will be elected by the next General Meeting of Members.
Any committee member not attending a meeting without apology for three months will be contacted by the committee and asked if they wish to resign. The committee meetings to any member of Knights Softball Club wishing to attend, who may speak but not vote.
Other unelected officers will be:
6.1 AGM and other meetings
a) An Annual General Meetings will be held once every thirteen months after the previous AGM.
b) All the members will be notified in writing at least 4 weeks before the date of the meeting, giving the venue, date and time. Nominations for the committee may be made to the secretary before the meeting, or at the meeting.
c) The quorum for the AGM will be 10 members.
d) At the AGM the committee will present the accounts of Knights Softball/Baseball for the previous year.
e) The officers and committee for the next year will be elected.
6.2 Special general meetings
a) The secretary will request a Special General meeting at the request of the majority of the committee or at least or at least five members giving a written request to the chair or secretary stating the reason for their request.
b) The meeting will take place within thirty days of the request. All members will be given two weeks’ notice of such a meeting, giving the venue, date, time, and agenda and notice may be by phone, text, email or post.
6.3 GENERAL MEETINGS
General meetings are open to all members and will be held twice every month or more often if necessary. All members will be given two weeks’ notice of such a meeting, giving the venue, date, time, and agenda and notice may be by phone, text, email or post.
7. RULES AND PROCEDURES
All questions that arise at any meeting will be discussed openly and the meeting will seek to find general agreement that everyone present can agree too.
If a consensus cannot be reached a vote will be taken and a decision will be made by a simple majority of members present and if there are an equal number of votes on each side, the chair will have an additional casting vote.
• A bank account will be maintained on behalf of the group at a bank agreed by the committee. Three cheque signatories will be elected by the committee one to be the Treasurer. Each cheque will require two of the three signatories one of whom will always be the treasurer. The signatories must not be related nor members of the same household.
• Records of income and expenditure will be maintained by the treasurer and a financial statement given to each meeting.
• An annual statement of accounts will be presented to the AGM and all money raised by the Association will be spent solely on the objects laid out in the constitution.
9. AMENDMENTS TO THE CONSTITUTION
• Amendments to the constitution may only be made at the AGM or a Special General meeting. Any proposal to amend the constitution must be given to the secretary in writing. The proposal must then be circulated with the notice of the meeting.
• Any proposal to amend the constitution will require a two thirds majority of those present and entitled to vote.
If a meeting, by a simple majority, decides that it is necessary to close down the group it may call a Special General Meeting to do so. The sole business of this meeting will be to dissolve the group. If it is agreed to dissolve the group, all remaining money and other assets, once outstanding debts have been paid, will be donated to a local charitable organization. The charitable organization will be agreed upon at the dissolution meeting.
This constitution was agreed at the Inaugural General meeting of the Knights Softball/Baseball Club.
Name and position in Club
Name and position in Club